This short article helps you choose Python between classic Python and Python distribution platforms like Anaconda
In general, there are two types of Python: Classical Python and Python Distribution like Anaconda.
Classic Python is the original Python that we download from the Python.org web. Here, let’s see what is Python Distribution.
Python distribution platforms, like Anaconda, WinPython, Activepython, etc. Anaconda is the world’s most popular Python distribution platform, and there are over 20 million users worldwide.
- It is advantageous because it includes Python and 720+ most popular libraries and tools,
- It is the most widely used Python distribution for data science,
- Anaconda distribution (individual version) is open source.
- It is a free minimal installer for conda
- It is a small, bootstrap version of Anaconda
- It includes only conda, Python, the packages they depend on, and a small number of other useful packages, such as pip, zlib and a few others.
(1) Choose Anaconda
Choose Anaconda if you:
- like the convenience of having Python and over 720 scientific packages automatically installed at once
- have the time and disk space (a few minutes and 3 GB), and/or
- do not want to install each of the packages you need individually.
(2) Choose Classic Python
Choose traditional Python if you:
- want to install the packages you need individually
- want to learn the working process of Python step by step.
- do not have disk space to install over hundreds of packages at once, and/or
- just want fast access to Python, and wish to sort out the other programs later.
(3) Choose miniconda
Choose miniconda if you:
- You like the convenience of Anaconda, but
- You do not want to install so many preinstalled libraries
- You want to install one library only when you need